Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Land of Make Believe


When I was a little girl and living in Oregon my family used to vacation on the coast. Our favorite beach was Lincoln City. It was there at a Christmas store that my mother and I spotted this magnificent poster called The Land of Make Believe. She brought it home and it graced the wall of our family room. We could look at it for hours and point out all our favorite characters. Years later when I moved to a kingdom far away called Texas I searched the Internet for my own copy of this map. It reminded me of my family and helped me feel like I had a piece of them with me. In college I took many art history classes and we studied hundreds of famous pieces and renowned artists. My favorite piece of artwork isn't hanging in a famous museum or written about by a fancy art historian. It is this simple and whimsical map. It was done in the 1930s by the artist Jaro Hess. To learn more click here http://www.jarohesslomb.com/

No comments: